Sunday, March 26, 2006

Let The Sunshine ...?

First a quick update. No, not a slacker's update. I know that I haven't blogged in a while- Sorry. But I have been a bit busy. I took a brief vacation. Had a great time. I did North Georgia and Atlanta. The weather wasn't great, but it was cool. I also did a little project.
All my pals know I've been doing an informal study for months on how prevalent sun images and sun worship concepts are in our society. Any way, as I drove around Atlanta and the environs this week, I kept seeing more and more examples of thes sun images. So I quit gawking and started taking pictures instead. You might be suprised just how surrounded we are by representations of the sun. Check out what I saw:
The SunTrust bank, BP petroleum, and even Frito Lay.

An interesting note: you'll find sun logos at almost any major corporation that does busisness with the public. There were plenty that I saw that I won't try to show here. The new BurgerKing logo is the Burger King text superimposed on top of a bright yellow sun. Shell Oil has a new gas additive they call ' V-Power'. The symbol for that is a whirling sun. There's even a big, glossy new shopping and living center in Atlanta called Atlantic Station. Their logo is a great circle with a star in the middle. Star? Pentagram? Hmmm. There are bunches more. See how many you can find when you go out. It will suprise you. Also, none of these logos existed before the year 2000. Not in their 'Sun' form. All fascinating to think about. It may even cause you to ask- 'What is the connection between major corporations and their images of the sun?' That, Detective, is the right question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home